I love eggplant. Grilled, baked, fried, roasted, I don’t care. It’s all amazing. And luckily, it’s in season right now. Since it’s my favorite vegetable, I’ve decided to try as many eggplant dishes as I can get my hands on. Rachel Ray mag this month is the Italian issue, and there’s an article dedicated to this big purple veggie, including a few recipes that I’m definitely going to try. But first, my debut eggplant dish comes from Pinterest: Grilled Eggplant with Tomato and Feta. I have yet to master the actual grill, and since the weather has been so erratic, I figured it would be best to just figure out how to do it all inside anyway. I used a grill pan and made it on the stove, but I’m sure it’s even more flavorful done right on the grill.
Grilled Eggplant with Tomato and Feta
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 large eggplant
crumbled fat free feta
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
half a lemon
Here’s how you do it:
1. Slice eggplant into 1/2″ thick rounds. Drizzle olive oil on top, and add any seasonings you want (I used my Tuscan style sea salt, which tastes AMAZING on eggplant).
2. Grill eggplant in the grill pan until moderately grilled on both sides.
3. Blend basil leaves, 4 tablespoons olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, a dash of salt, and juice from half a lemon until smooth.
4. Arrange grilled eggplant slices in a lightly oiled baking pan. Spread on some of the basil-garlic mixture, a generous amount of feta, and top with a tomato slice.
5. Add another layer of eggplant, basil-garlic mixture, feta, and tomato. Sprinkle more feta on top and drizzle olive oil on top.
6. Bake at 400° F for 15 minutes
This is probably my favorite recipe I’ve tried so far this summer. I made it for myself and a friend, and we were both so impressed at how delicious and flavorful it was. I also saved some leftovers for my dad, and he raved about how good it was, too. For best results, pour yourself a huge glass of red wine and enjoy your healthy Italian meal!